Chart’s VIP design and manufacturing experience for cryogenic fluid service spans 50 years. Its sturdy design makes it ideal for Liquefied Natural Gas service and Chart can already include references in 5 LNG facilities with pipe sizes up to 30”NPS.
VIP affords significant life cycle costs versus mechanically insulated pipe (MIP) through:
- Superior thermal performance - the double wall design provides less than 1/10th the heat leak of mechanically insulated pipe (MIP).
- Little to no maintenance - the annular space between the inner and outer pipes is factory evacuated to a vacuum level of 1 x 10-3 torr and conditioned to last the life time of the plant (typically assessed at 30 years).
- Reduced field installation time - individual spools up to 30m in length reduces the number of field joints.
Additional features and benefits of Chart VIP include ;
- The double wall design acts as an added safety feature as a secondary barrier for the Liquefied Natural Gas carrier pipe.
- VIP can be installed underground and under water whilst MIP cannot.
- Option for internal expansion bellows and loops (for thermal expansion and contraction) for underground and under water installations.
- Pipe diameters up to 60”” are possible with an inner pipe constructed from stainless steel (typically ASTM Type 304/304L), whilst the outer jacket can be constructed from stainless or carbon steel depending on site conditions and specific requirements of the facility owners.
- The vacuum level greatly reduces the conductive and convective heat transfer from the ambient surroundings into the cold LNG carrier pipe.
- The annular space between the carrier and jacket pipes is fitted with a multiple layer radiation shielding system, which further reduces the heat transferred into the Liquefied Natural Gas pipes.
- Chart has extended its modular approach to VIP and can supply it along with utility piping, electrical conduits, tank risers and stairways, offering even greater schedule time and money savings.